New US regulations changing the tax treatment of equity derivatives and equity-linked structured products have been branded a "joke" and "unworkable" by dealers.
The US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) published final and temporary regulations under Section 871(m) of the Internal Revenue Code on September 17. These subject financial products that provide payments linked to dividends from sources within the US to a 30% withholding tax when paid to a non-US investor.
The rules capture listed options
The week on Risk.net, October 6-12, 2017Receive this by email
- SGX, HKEX expect to be among first wave of Mifid II equivalence
- Quantile, TriOptima face off in cleared swaps compression battle
- Leaked EU doc could shield legacy swaps from clearing grab
- ABS set for revival under US Treasury’s liquidity buffer plans
- Quants stymied by lack of alternative risk premia flows data