US life insurers have reaped decent rewards from sales of variable annuity products in recent years. Total sales of these products, which are in effect equity mutual fund-like investments in a tax-deferred wrapper, amounted to $160 billion last year in the US alone.
Increasingly, these products are sold with embedded riders - contractual features guaranteeing a lump-sum or income payments for the insured person or their beneficiaries, irrespective of underlying investment performance.
The week on Risk.net, October 6-12, 2017Receive this by email
- SGX, HKEX expect to be among first wave of Mifid II equivalence
- Leaked EU doc could shield legacy swaps from clearing grab
- Quantile, TriOptima face off in cleared swaps compression battle
- ABS set for revival under US Treasury’s liquidity buffer plans
- Quants stymied by lack of alternative risk premia flows data