Prime Minister Lawrence Gonzi has a vision of where he wants Malta to be by 2015. In that vision, financial services plays a major part. After taking office in March 2004 and his re-election in 2008, he declared his intention to transform Malta by targeting six sectors as the “pillars” of Malta’s economy.
A central role was given to financial services, already contributing 11%–12% of GDP. The target is to increase this to 25% by 2015. Gonzi believes it can be achieved.
Within financial services,
The week on Risk.net, October 6-12, 2017Receive this by email
- SGX, HKEX expect to be among first wave of Mifid II equivalence
- Quantile, TriOptima face off in cleared swaps compression battle
- Leaked EU doc could shield legacy swaps from clearing grab
- ABS set for revival under US Treasury’s liquidity buffer plans
- Quants stymied by lack of alternative risk premia flows data