Risk.net

NAB finds A$185m in losses from foreign currency options trading

The losses were made after NAB removed a raft of fictitious trades from its foreign currency options portfolio. They were slightly higher than the bank’s original estimate of A$180 million, announced last Tuesday.

Frank Cicutto, chief executive of Australia's largest bank, said foreign currency options will continue to be a part of NAB’s markets business. “In view of the unauthorised activity that has occurred in this portfolio, the bank is undertaking a market revaluation of the remaining portfolio to ensure it conforms with our policies,” he added.

Cicutto said the bank’s initial view indicates the revaluation would lead to additional losses. “Based on our work to date, there is a very low probability that the total losses will be as high as market speculation of A$600 million. We expect to provide a further update on this matter by the end of the week,” he said.

Chairman of the bank, Charles Allen, said the board of directors had been updated on the investigations. “Following the outcomes of the investigations we will take whatever action is necessary to ensure that investors, customers and staff have full confidence in the National.”

  • LinkedIn  
  • Save this article
  • Print this page  

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a Risk.net account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an indvidual account here: